Here is a list of organizations, centers, (centres) that treat former child soldiers and child victims of war in Somalia. Due to the current security situation in the country, many of these organizations might not longer be operating or have suspended operations.
Lists for other countries are in the works and will follow. A list of organizations in Uganda is here.
- Somalia Child Soldier Relief Organization – Somalia. Mission is to improve the living conditions of Somali children affected by the civil war. Even though the organization shares the same values and goals of other international child soldier organizations, it’s primary aim is to assist these children long before they are coerced to take up arms.
- Somali Children Rights Organization (Sochro) – Somalia. Goals are to form school education provided to be deemed adequate, and adapted to suit the needs of each individual child, by teaching methods, attitudes and the educational environment; and to protect children from conflicts and emergencies as well as heightened level of risk – ensuring that children’s rights are respected through creating awareness and using the mass-media.
- Somali Youth of Peace and Development– Somalia. SYPD is committed to establish vocational projects in which youth are trained in skills that enable them to acquire jobs and income. SYPD is also committed to empower young girls in Somalia.
- Women and Child Care Organization (WOCCA) – Somalia. Women and Child Care Organization is a non-governmental, non-political and non-profit making women’s organisation, established in 1996 by Somali professionals.
- UNICEF PROJECTS – Somalia. Contact Denise Shepherd-Johnson, Chief, Communication, UNICEF Somalia, Tel: +254 20 762-3958; Mob: +254 722 919 867; E-mail: email@example.com
• Marissa Buckanoff, Director, Public Relations, United States Fund for UNICEF, Tel: +1 212 922 2485; E-mail:MBuckanoff@unicefusa.org
- The Marka Militia Rehabilitation Center– Somalia. Funded by the EU and run by IIDA. No other information available.
- Dadihiye Somali Development Organisation Somali Youth Empowerment Support (SYES)– United Kingdom. Supports the unaccompanied Somali minors and young people effected by sweeping changes to the lives of many young Somali Children who were traumatised by the Somali civil war, and may have no immediate families in the UK.
- Somali Youth Development Organization (SYDO) – Somalia. Mission is to upgrade the living standard of Somali Youth Community by providing technical assistance. Website no longer works, organization might be defunct.
- Elam Child Soldier Rehabilitation Project– Somalia. A program designed to reintegrate former child soldiers by providing vocational training, assistance in building conflict resolution skills, and psychological counseling. (couldn’t get any current information, or contact information on this).